Got my SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) auction piece finished and in the mail today. It must arrive in Santa Fe by June 1 so I paid 5 cents extra to get it there a day sooner. (Funny how postage rates work sometimes, isn't it?) This piece is similar to one I made for my Small Pleasures series a couple of years ago. Reason being, I had started this at the time and decided the angle of the table curve was too steep. Everything looked like it was sliding off the table. I was going for an Impressionist look but not one that made me seasick. In order to correct the angle of the table, I would have to un-fuse the top of the vase, several of the leaves and the large flower on the right side. It all seemed like too much work at the time so I set it aside and started over.
The unfinished piece sat around in my studio for quite a while. When the call went out for donations to the SAQA auction , I decided now was the time to rescue the poor thing. I changed the angle of the table curve so it isn't so dramatic. I finished the stitching of all the raw-edge applique elements. The background is pieced and machine quilted. On the "wallpaper" I used stripes of decorative stitches. I have all these fancy options on my machine so I feel compelled to occasionally use them on something. The auction starts on the SAQA web site in September. I'll post links when it happens.
Here is a close-up of some of the stitching.