Classes Offered

Monday, April 19, 2010

Travels in Cloth

For me, one of the best things about travel are searching out gardens and museums.  This time my friend and I traveled to San Jose to the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles.  They are in a neat, "artsy" area of town.  We saw a wonderful retrospective of the work of Joan Schulze.  Her multi-media work is fascinating and I highly recommend seeing the show if you are nearby.  It's up until May 9, 2010.

We did get this wonderful surprise of public textile art just outside the museum.  I have Googled everything I can think of to find the name of this piece and the artist.  No luck.  I have been told that the title may be Bloodlines.  I'll keep researching.  

It is a piece of art that had contributions from community members.  People were invited to embroider their names into the streamers.  It was interesting to see that some did not get all the embroidery done so their names remain unfinished, a poignant reminder of  life circumstances.


No comments: