Classes Offered

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Two Pears in an Auction


Got my SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) auction piece finished and in the mail today.  It must arrive in Santa Fe by June 1 so I paid 5 cents extra to get it there a day sooner.  (Funny how postage rates work sometimes, isn't it?)  This piece is similar to one I made for my Small Pleasures series a couple of years ago.  Reason being, I had started this at the time and decided the angle of the table curve was too steep.  Everything looked like it was sliding off the table.  I was going for an Impressionist look but not one that made me seasick.  In order to correct the angle of the table, I would have to un-fuse the top of the vase, several of the leaves and the large flower on the right side.  It all seemed like too much work at the time so I set it aside and started over.

The unfinished piece sat around in my studio for quite a while.  When the call went out for donations to the SAQA auction , I decided now was the time to rescue the poor thing.  I changed the angle of the table curve so it isn't so dramatic.  I finished the stitching of all the raw-edge applique elements.  The background is pieced and machine quilted.  On the "wallpaper" I used stripes of decorative stitches.  I have all these fancy options on my machine so I feel compelled to occasionally use them on something.  The auction starts on the SAQA web site in September.  I'll post links when it happens.

Here is a close-up of some of the stitching.

 
Post a Comment